Foundation Seminar in Surgery and Perioperative Medicine
The two day fully virtual Foundation Seminar in Surgery and Perioperative Medicine is designed to improve your knowledge and skills in the area of surgery and perioperative medication management.
The seminar will provide opportunities to learn about perioperative pharmacy practice at a foundational level, giving attendees an overview of the common surgical procedures performed in Australia, perspectives on perioperative management from surgical and anaesthetic staff, perioperative medication management, post-operative nausea and vomiting and post-operative, perioperative antimicrobial stewardship and post-operative pain management. The seminar will include interactive cases so seminar attendees can actively apply their knowledge in managing medicines in the perioperative period.
This seminar is targeted at pharmacists with less than 5 years of clinical experience, or those who may be rotating into a surgical ward.
Please note: presentation recordings from the live virtual seminar will not be available.
This event is now sold out. To be added to the waitlist, please contact email@example.com
All times listed are in AEST
All registration rates include GST
- Click here to view our Terms and Conditions. SHPA reserve the right to cancel a seminar or make changes to the program.
* You will receive a tax invoice and separate confirmation email upon completion of your registration. If you do not receive these by the next business day, you have not completed your registration and your space is not guaranteed. Please contact the secretariat by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr Elie Khoury, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Northpark Private Hospital, Melbourne, Vic
- Dr Kevin Chan, Consultant Gastrointestinal, Bariatric and General Surgeon, Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, Brisbane, Qld
- Abby Yu, Pre Admission Clinic Pharmacist and Surgical Team Leader, Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, Brisbane, Qld
- Rosemarie Kairuz, Clinical Pharmacist & Perioperative Advanced Training Resident, Alfred Health, Melbourne, Vic
- Janelle Penno, Perioperative Pharmacist, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Vic
- Dr Harry Sivakumar, Pain Fellow, Alfred Health, Melbourne, Vic
- Dr Courtney Ierano, Infectious Diseases Advanced Training Resident, Alfred Health, Melbourne, Vic; PhD Fellow, National Centre for Antimicrobial Stewardship (NCAS), Melbourne, Vic
- Tori Forrester, Perioperative Pharmacist, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Qld
- Thuy Bui, Lead Pharmacist – Analgesic Stewardship and Perioperative Services, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic
- Dr Maitumelo Imeldah Di Loreto, Plastic Surgery Registrar, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic
Competency Standards* addressed
- Standard 3.1.2 Assess medication management practices and needs
- Standard 3.1.3 Collaborate to develop a medication management strategy or plan
- Standard 3.2.3 Dispense medicines (including compounded medicines) in consultation with the patient and/or prescriber
- Standard 3.2.4 Prescribe medicines
- Standard 3.2.6 Facilitate continuity of care including during transitions of care
- Standard 3.3.2 Apply clinical review findings to improve health outcomes
- Standard 3.3.3 Document clinical review findings and changes in medication management
*National Competency Standards Framework for Pharmacists in Australia, 2016
This activity has been accredited for 7 hours of Group 1 CPD and 5.6 hours of Group 2 CPD (for a total of 18.2 CPD credits), suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist's CPD plan.
The accreditation number is S2021/22.