Foundation Seminar in Clinical Medication Management
This foundation level seminar is designed for pharmacists looking to transition to clinical hospital pharmacy, pharmacy interns, final year students with an interest in hospital pharmacy, pharmacy technicians interested in clinical role, and nursing and allied health professionals with the extended scope of practice involving prescribing.
Case based discussions and small group activities will be used to introduce participants to essential processes for clinical medicines management
Topics or Learning Objectives:
- Develop a patient centred approach to individualised medication management.
- Describe essential processes in clinical medication management including:
- Medication history taking and patient interview
- Clinical medication review
- Understanding Medication and medical charts
- IV lines and compatibilities
- Basic bedside and laboratory test data
- Basic therapeutic drug monitoring
- Communicating with multidisciplinary teams
- Developing Medication action plans
- Clinical Pharmacy terminology
- Essentials of fluids and electrolytes
- Foundation principles of medication safety
- Develop and consolidate core clinical skills around the management of key therapeutic areas: Diabetes Mellitus (Management of Type 2 diabetes), Cardiology (Atrial Fibrillation), Respiratory (COPD) and smoking cessation
Registration for this event has now closed. If you wish to register please contact the secretariat on 03 9486 0177.
- Register in the purple box below, then click on 'cart' at the top of the page (or under your menu options) and continue through checkout.
- Still having trouble registering? Follow our handy ‘how to’ guide
- Click here to view our Terms and Conditions
* You will receive a tax invoice and separate confirmation email upon completion of your registration. If you do not receive these by the next business day, you have not completed your registration and your space is not guaranteed. Please contact the secretariat by emailing email@example.com.
- Dr Michael Barras BPharm GradDipClinPharm PhD (Princess Alexandra Hospital, Qld)
- Ms Sharon Goldsworthy BPharm MClinPharm (The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, SA)
- Ms Sally Marotti BPharm MClinPharm (The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, SA)
- Dr Lisa Pont BSc BPharm PhD (University of Sydney, NSW)
The program addresses the following pharmacy competency standards:
- 1.1 Uphold professionalism in practice
- 2.1 Collaborate and work in partnership for the delivery of patient-centred, culturally responsive care
- 2.2 Collaborate with professional colleagues
- 2.3 Communicate Effectively
- 2.4 Apply interpersonal communication skills to address problems
- 3.1 Develop a patient-centred, culturally responsive approach to medication management
- 3.2 Implement the medication management strategy or plan
- 3.3 Monitor and evaluate medication management
- 5.3 Research, synthesise and integrate evidence into practice
(National Competency Standards Framework for Pharmacists in Australia, 2016)
This CPD event has been accredited for 18 hours of Group-2 CPD (a total of 36 CPD credits) suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan. The accreditation number is S2017/03