Foundation Seminar in Geriatric Medicine
The Foundation Seminar in Geriatric Medicine is designed to develop your knowledge and skills in Geriatric Medicine. The seminar will be delivered by a combination of a six week self-paced learning package that will introduce you to the principles of geriatric medicine and the prevention and management of geriatric syndromes including dementia and delirium, falls, urinary incontinence and constipation, followed by a one day live virtual seminar that will build on these concepts. The seminar is targeted at pharmacists with one or two years of clinical experience in any practice setting or clinical area where they care for older people.
The self-paced learning package comprises approximately 12 hours of learning material and will be available from Friday 25 June 2021. The live virtual component of this seminar will take place on Saturday 7 August 2021. The self-paced learning package materials must be completed prior to attending the live virtual seminar.
Unsure if this is the right level for you? View the seminar level descriptors.
View the preliminary program
Please note: presentation recordings from the live virtual seminar will not be available.
This seminar is now sold out. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waitlist, check the SHPA events calendar for upcoming seminars.
*COB is 5:00pm AEST
All registration rates include GST
- Register in the purple box below, then click on 'cart' at the top of the page (or under your menu options) and continue through checkout.
- Still having trouble registering? Follow our handy ‘how to’ guide
- Click here to view our Terms and Conditions. SHPA reserve the right to cancel a seminar or make changes to the program
* You will receive a tax invoice and separate confirmation email upon completion of your registration. If you do not receive these by the next business day, you have not completed your registration and your space is not guaranteed. Please contact the secretariat by emailing email@example.com.
- Richard Bolitho, Senior Pharmacist – Team Leader Sub Acute Services – The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, QLD
- Dr Debbie Lee, Geriatrician, The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Qld
- Shir Mei Goh, GEM/Rehab Pharmacist, Monash Health, Melbourne, Vic
- Prue Brian, Senior Pharmacist, The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Qld
- David Nguyen, Senior Pharmacist, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic
- Dr Sean Hui, Geriatric Advanced Trainee, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic
- Jacqueline Parkinson, General Medicine Team Leader, Monash Medical Centre, Monash Health, Vic
This activity has been accredited for 7.3 hours of Group-1 CPD and 4.25 hours of Group-2 CPD (for a total of 15.8 CPD credits), suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan
The accreditation number is S2021/47
The program addresses pharmacist competency standards, including:
- Standard 3.1.1 Obtain relevant health and medicines information
- Standard 3.1.2 Assess medication management practices and needs
- Standard 3.1.3 Collaborate to develop a medication management strategy or plan
- Standard 3.2.3 Dispense medicines (including compounded medicines) in consultations with the patient and/or prescriber
- Standard 3.2.4 Prescribe medicines
- Standard 3.2.5 Provide counselling and information for safe and effective medication management
- Standard 3.3.2 Apply clinical review findings to improve health outcomes
- Standard 3.5.2 Promote evidence-based medicine use
(National Competency Standards Framework for Pharmacists in Australia, 2016)