SHPA is the only professional pharmacy organisation with a core base of members practising in public and private hospitals and other health service facilities such as Aboriginal Health Services, residential aged care facilities and general practices.
Our members have extensive experience in specialty clinical areas such as oncology, infectious diseases, mental health, emergency, paediatrics and aged care, and provide cognitive pharmacy services to support the quality use of medicines. SHPA is committed to providing a platform for leading clinicians in specialty practice areas to network, engage and collaborate through SHPA’s network of Committees of Speciality Practice and Reference Groups, who have a leading role in providing medicines expertise to SHPA and other stakeholders.
Reflecting our members’ diverse and innovative roles, SHPA also has an expert understanding of the multiple funding and regulatory frameworks with respect to medicines and is well suited to and welcomes the opportunity to provide high quality advice to governments and stakeholders.
SHPA responds regularly to requests for clinical advice relating to medicines and their classifications, safety and information, as well as discussion of broader health policy.
- SHPA to TGA: Response to ACMS meeting - proposed amendments to the Poisons Standard - October 2017
- SHPA to Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee: Administration of blinatumomab requiring inpatient hospitalisation - October 2017
- SHPA to Stroke Foundation: endorsement of Clinical Guidelines for Stroke Management - September 2017
- SHPA to TGA - ACMS meeting July 2017 scheduling amendment proposal - July 2017
- SHPA to TG re TG - Antibiotics - April 2017
- SHPA submission to Proposed amendments to the Poisons Standard - August 2016
- SHPA response to Standards Australia re Standards for Cytotoxic Drug Safety Cabinets - April 2016
- SHPA response to Proposed amendments to the Poisons Standard (Codeine) - January 2016
- SHPA response to ACMS meeting PPIs: Lansoprazole, omepeprazole and rabeprazole – October 2015
- Response to TGA Consultation: Cimetidine, famotidine, nizatidine and ranitidine for oral use: proposed amended label advisory statements - October 2015
- Department of Health consultation on an implementation framework for Biosimilar Awareness Initiative - October 2015
- Consultation: Invitation for public comment – ACMS meeting, July 2015: proposed changes to scheduling of codeine, naloxone and esomeprazole – October 2015
- SHPA to ACSQHC: Delirium Clinical Care Standards - July 2015
- SHPA to ACSQHC: Hip Fracture Clinical Care Standards - July 2015
- Consultation: Invitation for public comment-ACMS meeting, July 2015 esomeprazole – May 2015
- Draft national guidelines for the on-screen display of clinical medicines information - May 2015
- Submission to: Review of Medicines and Medical Devices Regulation: Regulation of Complementary Medicines (members only)- April 2015
- Submission to: Senate’s Community Affairs Reference Committee inquiry into Availability of new, innovative and specialist cancer drugs in Australia (members only) - February 2015
- Submission to: Department of Health regarding Clozapine Implementation Issues (members only)- February 2015
- Joint SHPA NSWTAG submission to the Expert Review of Medicines and Medical Devices Regulation (members only) - January 2015
For more information about SHPA’s policy work contact: