Step up and transform your career
SHPA is committed to working towards creating more agile, responsive and supportive workplaces for pharmacy technicians and assistants. In 2017, SHPA members voted to welcome technicians and assistants as full voting members. This landmark constitutional change has better placed SHPA to represent and develop the technician and assistant workforce through a wide range of unique initiatives, member benefits and offerings.
Find out how SHPA can help you step up and tranform your career with our SHPA Technician Brochure.
Career development resources
Develop and refresh your knowledge with our wide range of online, Branch and national CPD opportunities.
- Aseptic Cytotoxic Preparation Courses
- Technician specific Branch CPD events
- Annual Medicines Management Technician stream
- Technician webinars, presentation and online courses
- Australian Pharmacy Technician workbook
- Specialty Practice streams relevant to your practice
- SHPA Standards of Practice for Clinical Pharmacy Services
- Opportunities to publish in SHPA's quarterly journal, Pharmacy GRIT
SHPA helps you stay connected and informed and gives you opportunities to share and pool your knowledge and views amongst a diverse and experienced professional community through a variety of channels.
- Pharmacy technician discussion forum
- SHPA Pharmacy Technician Facebook Discussion Group
- Networking opportunities - both locally an dnationally
- Access to SHPA's Jobs Board
- Regular advocacy, events and news updates via SHPA's eNews, Facebook page and Twitter feed.
A strong voice for your profession, recognition and support
Drawing on your ideas and expertise, SHPA advocates for the expansion of Pharmacy Technician and Assistant roles and greater support for your services.
- SHPA's Tech Role Redesign project is working to entrench and grow technicians and assistants roles to enhance patient outcomes and career development opportunities.
- The National Pharmacy Technician Network (NPTN) provides a platform for you to discuss issues facing technicians and assistants and devise solutions for change.
Chair: Lorah Hickman
Alfred Pharmacy, Vic.
ACT representative: Bryan Walker
Canberra Hospital and Health Services
NSW representative: Mark Clifford
Qld representative: Elise Franciskovic
SA/NT representative: Tara Clayson-Fisher
Flinders Medical Centre
Tas. representative: Vacant
WA representative: Paula Caird
Fremantle Hospital Pharmacy
Convenor: Trudy Teasdale
Gold Coast Health
SHPA recognises the contribution technicians and assistants make to their profession through Medicines Management Awards, Branch Technician Awards, and SHPA Awards. And provides professional and personal support throughout your career Wellness at Work Webinar Series, leadership and management workshops and seminars, and a strong alliance with Pharmacist's Support Service.