Latrobe Regional Hospital
Campuses where pharmacy intern will work: Latrobe Regional Hospital
Latrobe Regional Hospital (LRH) is a modern 289-bed fully integrated hospital providing a broad range of services that include acute care, intensive/critical care, aged care, cancer care, elective surgery, emergency medicine, maternity, rehabilitation, paediatrics and mental health. LRH also has an expanding research unit which is involved in a number of clinical trials. LRH treats about 130,000 people every year and is a teaching hospital affiliated with Monash University’s School of Rural Health and Federation University.
Intern program information
- There are three Government funded positions in 2023
The pharmacy department has a complement of 40 staff offering a comprehensive range of services that include:
- Operational and clinical pharmacy services in critical care unit, emergency department, medical, surgical, orthopaedics, geriatrics, rehabilitation, maternity, paediatrics, and mental health
- Oncology service and on-site sterile manufacturing
- Antimicrobial stewardship and provision of medicines information to hospital inpatients, outpatients, and to other hospitals in the region
- Management and supply of clozapine for patients across the Gippsland region
- Clinical trials and Hospital in the Home
- Regional pharmacy services to two small hospitals and a local private hospital
- On-call and weekend pharmacy service
- Clinical education meetings within the pharmacy department
- Provision of education to other health professionals including doctors and nurses as well as patient groups (e.g. heart failure, respiratory rehabilitation programs)
- Medication safety and quality improvement activities (e.g. medication safety walkrounds, audits)
The internship program includes:
- Rotations across various areas of the hospital as well as regular dispensary duties allowing integration into the clinical pharmacy service and development of pharmacist skills.
- Extensive support for learning and completing intern training program tasks, tutorial sessions, and practice exams.
- Each intern is assigned to an individual preceptor throughout the intern year.
- Weekly intern tutorials which cover an extensive range of clinical, legal, and OTC topics.
- Two-week participation in a community pharmacy placement to consolidate OTC and clinical skills.
- Interns are encouraged to participate in regular clinical and case presentation meetings to build and extend knowledge in a team environment.
Michelle Kua (Intern Coordinator and Intern Preceptor) email@example.com
Josh Kennedy (Intern Preceptor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Neeta Schaefer (Intern Preceptor) email@example.com
Louise McMahon (Pharmacy manager) firstname.lastname@example.org
Pharmacy Department Telephone: (03) 5173 8588
Intern positions in 2023
- 3 total (DHHS funded)