SHPA coordinates applications and efficiently, transparently and fairly matches candidates for Victorian Government subsidised internships as well as a number of Victorian public hospital funded internships.
85 Department of Health and Human Services and some Victorian public hospital funded pharmacy internships will be available through the 2020 matching process.
Public and private hospital pharmacies fund additional internships from time-to-time and advertise positions on hospital or health service websites, local government careers websites, through Seek or on SHPA’s Jobs board.
To contact SHPA about the Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in being a 2020 hospital pharmacy intern?
- May 2019 Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Program Information Night
- July 2019 Application process opens
How to apply and eligibility
Applications for the 2020 Internship Program open in July.
- Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents who have completed, or will complete a registable pharmacy degree in 2019 are eligible to apply.
- Graduates from Victorian universities are considered for first round matching, and second if required.
- Interstate graduates are considered after two rounds of matching.
- International students are not eligible to apply.
- Students will be required to supply a cover letter and CV for their two equal first preference hospitals.
- Students must have a current SHPA student member account, or create a SHPA non-member account.
- Students should add email@example.com to their email safe sender list, as all emails will be sent from this address.
2019 intern placements
2019 internships have now closed and all placements have occured as below.
|Health Service||Location||Govt-funded positions||Hosp-funded positions|
|Albury Wodonga Health Service||Wodonga||1||1|
|Ballarat Health Services||Ballarat||2|
|Central Gippsland Health Service||Sale||1|
|Eastern Health||Box Hill||4||1|
|Echuca Regional Health||Echuca||1|
|Latrobe Regional Hospital||Traralgon||3|
|Mildura Base Hospital||Mildura||1|
|Northeast Health Wangaratta||Wangaratta||-||2|
|Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre||East Melbourne||2||1|
|Royal Children's Hospital||Parkville||4|
|Royal Melbourne Hospital||Parkville||8|
|Royal Women's Hospital||Parkville||2|
|St Vincent's Hospital||Fitzroy||7|
|Wimmera Health Care Group||Horsham||1||1|
Additional information and resources for students
- 2019 Frequently Asked Questions - includes detailed explanation of placement allocation process
- Information about the 2019 Program is available in our handy hospital pharmacy information guide.
- 2019 SHPA Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Information Night presentation
Info for hospitals
VHIP expansion EOI
the Department of Health and Human Services (the Department) will be expanding the existing hospital pharmacy intern positions (80) available to graduating pharmacist. Over three years between 2020 and 2022 an additional 20 positions will be provided to Victorian public hospitals, resulting in a total of 100 supported internships. The first five additional positions will be funded for the 2020 calendar year.
- For comprehensive information about priorities, criteria and the remaining positions please read SHPA’s Victorian Hospital Intern Program expansion Factsheet & FAQs
- Expressions of Interest for the additional five funded internships is facilitated by SHPA and must be completed via the online portal.
- All applications must be submitted before Thursday 28 February 2019 at 11.59pm AEDT.