SHPA coordinates applications and efficiently, transparently and fairly matches candidates for Victorian Government subsidised internships as well as a number of Victorian public hospital funded internships.
85 Department of Health and Human Services and some Victorian public hospital funded pharmacy internships will be available through the 2020 matching process.
Public and private hospital pharmacies fund additional internships from time-to-time and advertise positions on hospital or health service websites, local government careers websites, through Seek or on SHPA’s Jobs board.
To contact SHPA about the Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in being a 2020 hospital pharmacy intern?
Applications have closed.
- 9.00am Wednesday 24 July 2019: Online applications open.
- 11.59pm Wednesday 7 August 2019: Applications close.
- 14 August 2019 - 11 September 2019: Hospitals screen and rank candidates.
- By 11.59pm Thursday 12 September 2019: You must submit a final hospital preference list. If you do not, your original preferences will apply.
- By Tuesday 24 September 2019: Students advised of outcomes.
How to apply and eligibility
- Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents who have completed, or will complete a registable pharmacy degree in 2019 are eligible to apply.
- Graduates from Victorian universities are considered for first round matching, and second if required.
- Interstate graduates are considered after two rounds of matching.
- International students are not eligible to apply.
- Students will be required to supply a cover letter and CV for their two equal first preference hospitals.
- Students should add email@example.com to their email safe sender list, as all emails will be sent from this address.
2020 intern placements
|Health Service||Location||Govt-funded positions||Hospital-funded positions|
|Albury Wodonga Health Service||Wodonga||1||1|
|Ballarat Health Services||Ballarat||2|
|Grampians Regional||Ballarat and Bacchus Marsh||1|
|Bass Coast Health||Wonthaggi||1|
|Central Gippsland Health Service||Sale||1|
|Eastern Health||Box Hill||4||1|
|Echuca Regional Health||Echuca||2|
|Goulburn Valley Health||Shepparton||1|
|Latrobe Regional Hospital||Traralgon||3|
|Mildura Base Hospital||Mildura||1|
|Northeast Health Wangaratta||Wangaratta||2|
|Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre||East Melbourne||2|
|Royal Children's Hospital||Parkville||4|
|Royal Melbourne Hospital||Parkville||8|
|Royal Women's Hospital||Parkville||2|
|South West Healthcare Warrnambool in partnership with Colac Area Health||Warrnambool and Colac||1|
|St Vincent's Hospital||Fitzroy||7|
|Wimmera Health Care Group||Horsham||1|
Additional information and resources for students
- 2019-20 Frequently Asked Questions - includes detailed explanation of placement allocation process
- Information about the 2019-20 Program is available in our handy hospital pharmacy information guide for applicants.
- 2019-20 SHPA Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Information Night presentation
Info for hospitals
VHIP expansion EOI
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) will be expanding the existing hospital pharmacy intern positions (80) available to graduating pharmacist. Over three years between 2020 and 2022 an additional 20 positions will be provided to Victorian public hospitals, resulting in a total of 100 supported internships. The first five additional positions will be funded for the 2020 calendar year.
- For comprehensive information about priorities, criteria and the remaining positions please read SHPA’s Victorian Hospital Intern Program expansion Factsheet & FAQ
- 2020 Appications have closed. Health services will be notified when expressions of interest for 2021 positions is opening.