Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Program
SHPA coordinates applications and efficiently, transparently and fairly matches candidates for Victorian Government subsidised internships as well as a number of Victorian public hospital funded internships.
100 Department of Health and Human Services and some Victorian hospital-funded pharmacy internships will be available in 2024 through the matching process.
Public and private hospital pharmacies fund additional internships from time to time and advertise positions on hospital or health service websites, local government careers websites, through Seek or on SHPA’s Jobs board.
Applications open soon
Key Dates - 2023 - Round 1 applications:
|Thursday 1 June – 7.00pm to 8.00pm AEST||Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Internships: hospital information (Zoom meeting)|
|Thursday 8 June - 7.00pm to 8.00pm AEST||
Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Internships: information for students (Zoom webinar)
Tuesday 27 June – 7.00pm to 9.00pm AEST
Thursday 29 June – 7.00pm to 9.00pm AEST
|Zoom session – 2 x Hospital info sessions for students|
9.00am, Monday 17 July
|Open - Intern applications|
11.59pm, Monday 31 July
|Close - Intern applications|
By C.O.B Friday 4 August
|Students sent VidCruiter link to record pre-interview questions and upload CVs, cover letter, etc|
By 11.59pm, Tuesday 8 August
|Students complete pre-interview questions and CV upload.|
Thursday 10 August to Thursday 7 September 2023
|Hospital’s interview and select candidates.|
Monday 28 August to 12pm, Thursday 7 September 2023
|Online submission period for students to rank their final preference list of hospitals (to SHPA).|
|By C.O.B Tuesday 19 September 2023||Students notified of the outcome of their application.|
Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Internship Program Guidelines for Students.
Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Program Guide for Hospitals.
How to apply and eligibility
- Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents who have completed, or will complete in 2023 a registrable pharmacy degree at a Victorian university, are eligible to apply for all positions – i.e. positions funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and positions funded by hospitals (non-DHHS).
- Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents who have completed, or will complete in 2023 a registrable pharmacy degree outside Victoria, are eligible to apply for non-DHHS funded positions, but will only be considered for DHHS-funded positions if still available in Round 3.
- Applicants who are NOT an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident can apply for non-DHHS-funded positions; they are not eligible to apply for DHHS-funded positions.
- Students will be required to supply a cover letter and CV for their two equal first preference hospitals.
- Students must have a current SHPA student member account, or create a SHPA non-member account.
- Students should add email@example.com to their email safe sender list, as all emails will be sent from this address.
To contact SHPA about the Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SHPA Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Information session
Interested in being a hospital pharmacy intern?
Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents who have completed, or will complete in 2023 a registrable pharmacy degree at a Victorian university, are eligible to apply for all positions, i.e. positions funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and positions funded by hospitals (non-DHHS).
Applicants who fall into either of the two eligibility categories below may need to provide a Skills Assessment letter from the Australian Pharmacy Council to confirm their eligibility to work in Australia.
The Skills Assessment letter is required if you completed your pharmacy qualification in any country other than Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK or the USA. Your Skills Assessment letter will be required as part of your application when applying to the Victorian Intern program.
You will be required to sit a KAPS exam as part of the Skills Assessment process, further details can be found here. Please get in touch with the Australian Pharmacy Council here to discuss your Skills Assessment requirements.
Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents who have completed, or will complete in 2023 a registrable pharmacy degree outside Victoria, are eligible to apply for DHHS positions (only after two rounds of matching) and non-funded positions.
Applicants who are NOT an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident are not eligible to apply for the remaining DHHS-funded positions.
|Hospital||DHHS funded positions||Hospital funded positions||Total positions available|
|Albury Wodonga Health Service||2||2|
|Bairnsdale Regional Health Service||1||1|
|Bass Coast Health||1||1||2|
|Central Gippsland Health Service||1||1|
|Echuca Regional Health||2||2|
|Goulburn Valley Health||1||1||2|
|Latrobe Regional Hospital||3||3|
|Mercy Health (Mercy Hospital for Women and Werribee Mercy Hospital)||2||2|
|Mildura Base Hospital||1||1|
|Northeast Health Wangaratta||1||2||3|
|Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre||2||1||3|
|South West Healthcare, Warrnambool||1||2||3|
|St Vincent's Hospital||7||7|
|The Royal Children's Hospital||4||4|
|The Royal Melbourne Hospital||8||8|
|The Royal Women's Hospital||3||3|
|Western District Health Service||1||1|