The National Translational Research Collaborative (NTRC) is a virtual hub connecting Australia’s brightest clinical pharmacy researchers and organisations to build research capacity and hospital partnerships, strengthen research proposals and impact and leverage funding opportunities.
Under the oversight of its Executive Committee, NTRC guides the future vision of translational pharmacy research, while expert members appointed to advisory committees foster the preparation, upscaling and funding of today’s most promising proposals.
- Chair and Supporting SHPA Director: Dr Lisa Pont (NSW)
- Convenor, Research Grants Committee (RGC): Associate Professor Michael Barras (Qld)
- Editor in Chief of the Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research (JPPR): Associate Professor Chris Alderman (SA)
- Past member of RDGAC: Dr Manya Angley (SA)
- Early career pharmacist: Brock Delfante (WA)
- Convenor, Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC): Greg Roberts (SA)
- Convenor, Capability and capacity working group: Professor Jeff Hughes (WA)
- Research academic: Professor Andrew McLachlan (NSW)
- Practitioner researcher: Dr Luke Grzeskowiak (SA)
- Community pharmacist: Ms Karalyn Huxhagen (Qld)
- Non-pharmacist health researcher (Clinical pharmacologist and general physician): Vacant
- Non-pharmacist health researcher (Registered nurse and nursing researcher): Associate Professor Karen-leigh Edward (Vic)
- Non-pharmacist community member (Consumer Advocate/Manager): Vacant
SHPA thanks Professor Jennifer Martin and Ms Anne McKenzie for their contribution to the Committee since its inception.
More than ever, impactful translational research cannot be achieved within the four walls of a hospital.
By maintaining an online community portal, NTRC drives conversations between like-minded researchers – both upcoming and established – facilitating the support of mentors and development of research skills in individuals and capacity in organisations.
The online community portal is a one-stop shop for broadening research horizons, connecting leading pharmacy research centres to upscale research projects, generating more data and ensuring stronger research findings.
The Capability and Capacity Working Group, convened by Professor Jeff Hughes, supports the research development of NTRC members, monitoring and responding to their needs and providing support to overcome research barriers.
- Convenor: Professor Jeff Hughes (WA)
- Early career pharmacist: Yazmin Brown (nee Crossingham) (NSW)
- Community practitioner: Paul Tait (SA)
- Practitioner researchers: Dr Luke Grzeskowiak (SA); Dr Andy Hale (Qld); Michelle Rothwell (Qld)
- Member experienced in learning and development (e.g. in facilitating research): Susan Poole (Vic)
Expert guidance can sharpen a great idea into a brilliant research proposal.
Comprising academics, researchers and practicing pharmacists, the Scientific Advisory Committee, convened by Professor Greg Roberts, deliberates on proposals and provides feedback and guidance to improve promising research projects.
Research proposals endorsed by NTRC’s SAC are in a stronger position to secure funding, attract collaborators and result in greater translational impact and better patient outcomes.
- Convenor: Greg Roberts (SA)
- Research academic: Dr Jonathan Penm (NSW)
- Practitioner researchers: Dr Ivanka Hendrix (SA); Marliese Alexander (Vic)
One non-pharmacist health researcher and one non-pharmacist community member to be appointed
Discoveries need dollars, and the establishment of NTRC opens new doors for funding innovative clinical pharmacy research projects.
In conjunction with the SAC, the Research Grants Committee, convened by Associate Professor Michael Barras, gathers and simplifies useful funding information, while identifying and connecting proposals to suitable grant and award opportunities across government and pharmaceutical sectors.
- Convenor: Associate Professor Michael Barras (Qld)
- Member with experience in review of grant submissions (e.g. past RDGAC member): Dr Manya Angley (SA)
- Practitioner researcher: Kelvin Robertson (Qld)
- Academic pharmacist: Associate Professor Neil Cottrell (Qld)
- Member with additional research skills (e.g. ethics, biostatistics, epidemiology): Dr Elaine Lum (Singapore)
- Early career pharmacist: Brock Delfante (WA)
- Non-pharmacist researcher (e.g. clinical pharmacologist, biomedical sciences researcher): Dr Peter Donovan (Qld)
One non-pharmacist community member to be appointed.
2018 Grants coming soon!
- Juno Pharmaceuticals - $30,000 research grant. More details available soon.
- Pfizer Young Pharmacists Grant 2018. More details available August.