Campuses where pharmacy interns will work: University Hospital Geelong & McKellar Centre
Barwon Health is one of the largest and most comprehensive regional health services in Australia, providing care at all stages of life and circumstance. Health services available through Barwon Health cover the full spectrum from emergency and acute to mental health, primary care, community services, aged care and subacute/rehabilitation.
The pharmacy department is staffed by 110 EFT staff (including 64 EFT pharmacists) across the acute site (University Hospital Geelong), the rehabilitation and aged care site (McKellar Centre) and the private hospital (St John of God).
The Department provides clinical pharmacy services, aseptic and oncology preparation, HITH and outpatient services. A high degree of specialisation exists in clinical pharmacy roles, clinical trials, medication safety, medicines information, antimicrobial stewardship and radiopharmacy. The Pharmacy Department is actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate pharmacy education, as well as pharmacy practice research.
We are an enthusiastic and cohesive team that is focussed on providing the highest quality patient centred care, guided by our driving values: Respect, Compassion, Commitment, Accountability and Innovation.
Barwon Health website: http://www.barwonhealth.org.au/
Intern program information
Barwon Health Pharmacy Internships
- Six intern positions are available in 2023 (government-funded)
At Barwon Health we are committed to providing positive employment opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and encourage internship applications from candidates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background.
The intern program is a balance of structured learning and practical training rotations. Throughout the first 33 weeks, the intern will spend time in:
- Introductory clinical rotations (clinical orientation)
- Dispensary, as well as familiarisation to aseptic services, medicines information, medication safety, antimicrobial stewardship, oncology and radiopharmacy
- Clinical rotations through specialised ward services such as cardiology, renal, neurology, aged care, as well as general medical and surgical wards
- Allocated research week
Independence (under supervision) will be strongly encouraged in the final 4 months of the intern year, as interns will be integrated into pharmacy services with own patient load and responsibilities. Elective rotations (e.g. paediatrics, emergency, psychiatry, oncology, ICU, maternity) will also be available.
In total, interns will spend approximately 80% of their intern program on clinical wards.
Other key features of the Barwon Health Intern Program:
- Dedicated education team lead by the Senior Education Pharmacist and Intern Coordinator
- Individual mentor pharmacists allocated to each intern to provide additional support
- Monash Intern Foundation Program credentialed site and educators
- Planned intern education meetings / tutorials held once weekly
- Case presentations – Interns contribute to the educational activities of the department
- Intern research project to provide experience in conducting research
- Dedicated preparation for oral and written exams, including in-house practice exams
- Interns will be rostered to work half days on weekends (Saturday) on a rotational basis
If you are considering applying to Barwon Health and would like more information, to see the facilities or would just like to chat, we will be conducting hospital tours and online information sessions. Please see below for details.
Face to face hospital tours with an informal chat will be held on:
- Tuesday 12th July at 11:00am
- Thursday 21st July at 11:00am
Please register for either of the tours using the following link: https://forms.gle/yMLbEvE4ox9NQwRp9
Please note registration is essential to be able to attend. If you register for a tour we will be in contact with further details closer to the day.
Online information sessions will be held on:
- Wednesday 13th July at 3:30pm
- Friday 22nd July at 9:00am
Please register for the session on Wednesday 13th July via this link: https://swarh.webex.com/swarh/j.php?RGID=r1295d3ac2f84249010af48e5894f743f
Please register for the session on Friday 22nd July via this link: https://swarh.webex.com/swarh/j.php?RGID=r96356698ff5588dc2fa22f67daa05447
Dr Diana Bortoletto, Lead Pharmacist Education Training and Research
Tel. 03 42151582
Ms Sophie Jahnecke, Intern Coordinator
Tel. 03 42151582
Intern positions in 2023
- 6 DHHS funded
- Barwon Health: Our Values
- Love Learning @ Barwon Health
- Barwon Health Careers: Making the move
- Barwon Health Recruitment
- Intern Pharmacist FAQ
- Intern Pharmacist Tutorial Timetable
- Intern Pharmacist Position Description
- Pharmacy Internship Overview
- Intern Pharmacist Rotations
- Intern Pharmacist Selection Process